By rocking for a reason the Awê-ness Rock Festival is aimed at creating social awareness through music and other creative mediums. The 2008 theme is ‘Awê to Poverty’, by which there will be concentrated on poverty and a spirit of charity. A considerable amount of the profit made on the day of the event will be donated to different charity projects.
In 2008 the Awê-ness Rock Festival will unite famous local bands, up and coming school bands, media and the general public through an opportunity to act on social issues and support a campaign against poverty and social decline.
August 2008 Line-up:
The Dirty Skirts
Foto Na Dans
The Orange Stilettos
4 x Local school bands
Sporting grounds of Menlopark High School
Corner Atterburry and Lynnwood road
Date: 30 AUGUST 2008
The show will not only boast an excellent line-up, but will also offer a variety of arts and extreme sports exhibitions. These exhibitions include the following:
- Extreme trial bike demonstrations.
- A Boogaloos half pipe with skateboarders, inline rollerblades and BMX riders.
- Exhibition and demonstrations by a club of extreme Unicycle riders, Uni-T.
- Charity/Awareness themed video’s and short films on two big screens during band changeovers.
- A team of graffiti artists will be painting two 3mx2m murals on either side of the stage whilst the show is going on. The separate pieces of painted canvas that made out the mural will be sold for the charity project.
- Various charity organisations will be granted an exhibition area in which they can promote themselves and the work they do for free.
For any further info on the festival or charity projects, contact us at email@example.com.
Awê-ness = ( ah-wê-ness):
a combination of the words awê and awareness.
Awê ( ah-wê ) 1: a slang-synonym used by South-African youth from various cultures for the expression hello; used to greet or address someone/something. 2: in certain cases it can be used as a substitute word for “cool”.
Aware (adjective) 1: having knowledge or realization 2: well-informed.
photo: Kuber Koos